PE usually takes place on a Wednesday and Friday, however these days do sometimes change. We ask for children to bring in their PE on a Monday and take it home on a Friday. Please bring both indoor and outdoor kit to accommodate our changeable weather.
Homework is due in on a Thursday and handed out on a Friday.
Homework will consist of:
- Spelling rule games on Purple Mash
- Alternate Grammar and Maths games on Purple Mash.
Click here to log in to Purple Mash.
Golden time is awarded on a Friday for children who complete homework.
Reading diaries are usually checked every day, and an additional break takes place on a Friday for children who read at least 3 times per week at home.
We also test spellings and times tables on a Friday.
After half term, we are beginning our topic of Potions!
By reading an extract from George’s Marvellous Medicine, we’ll learn all about mysterious potions, and write a safety label for George’s bottle. We’ll sort everyday items into solids, liquids and gases. Using our investigation skills, we’ll explore capacity and the properties of liquids. We’ll also design fabulous bottles for magical potions. Becoming super scientists, we’ll investigate chemical reactions and states of matter. We’ll research the use of anaesthetic and learn what life was like without it! We’ll write spells with magical, strange or gruesome effects – what ingredients will we use? It will be great fun to make chocolate hearts and bath bombs! We’ll also create canvas art on a large scale! At the end of the topic, we’ll even make delicious potion treats for you to taste!
Listed in the 'Home Learning Tasks' tab is a list of suggested projects to have a go with, all relating to our next topic "Potions!". I'd love to see your fabulous work!
Homework will be set weekly on Purple Mash, alternating between Grammar and Maths tasks. These tasks link to the work covered in our lessons that week. Logins can be found in the front cover of Reading Diaries. If you have any problems accessing content on Purple Mash, please speak to Miss Clark.
Spelling quiz games are set on Purple Mash each week, along with them being practised each morning in class. The spellings set are related to the National Curriculum Year 3/4 Spelling rules. Please play the quiz games daily or as often as you can.
Logins should be on the letters sent out. If you have any problems accessing content on Purple Mash, please speak to Miss Braim.
Please note - paper spelling sheets are now completed in our class time and not handed out as homework.
What will you choose to do?
• Make a list of all the solids, liquids and gases you can find at home. Are they kept safely?
• Make a sketch of any interesting bottles you have at home. Remember to add patterns, textures, shading and finer details!
• Make homemade perfume or potions using things you find in the kitchen, garden or bathroom (before you start check with an adult which substances are safe to use). Use a pestle and mortar to grind up the things you find. Add liquid and strain to get rid of the lumpy bits. What have you made?
• Calculate how many litres of water it takes to fill your bath. Which uses less water, the shower or the bath? How can you find out?
• Make ice lollies at home. Can you add a surprise ingredient that reveals itself as the ice melts?
• Visit your local library or bookshop to search for other plays and stories on the theme of potions. Write a book review and share it with others in your class.